White Horse Bookshop - Our History
The White Horse Bookshop has been a part of the fabric of Marlborough since 1943, firstly in The Parade and in its current location on the High Street since 1949 (we think!). Here is a picture of us in the early years.
The shop had had four previous owners before Robert Hiscox and Brian Kingham bought it early in 2014 when the shop was in danger of disappearing altogether. We spent the first couple of months renovating, redesigning and restocking the shop, introducing a second floor of books and moving the art department to its current home in the basement (or Lower Ground Floor as we call it when feeling genteel). We reopened on 10th April 2014 and had our official opening on 25th in the presence of Dame Jacqueline Wilson - a day that will live long in the memory.
Now we have been open for quite some time and the bookshop has become a huge sucess with almost 25,000 titles on the shelves and over 200,000 available online.
We have now also completed our the creation of a new room to the rear of the building - for events, meetings, presentations, exhibitions and gatherings - as well as a completely updated and enlarged art studio on the first floor.